Luxury Bed and Breakfast on the Central Otago Rail Trail (NZ's Premiere Cycle Trail)
The bustling rail head town of Kokonga was once the hub of a considerable community, providing engine maintenance for the railway line between Dunedin and Clyde. The township of Kokonga has now gone and only a handful of residents remain.
Nestled in a rural paradise and set amidst 5 acres of gardens at their magnificent best in Spring and Summer, Kokonga Lodge offers an experience blending the old and the new. As well as the modern lodge the property is also home to the original Kokonga School, built in 1897. At its peak pupils numbered 67 dwindling to 8 before the school was forced to close in 1966. The old school building, still on its original site is now the manager’s residence.
The lodge, built on the site of the sole school teacher’s house provides 6 stylish rooms with ensuites, inviting guest areas full of books and art works, extensive outdoor decks where guests can relax and enjoy views of vast open spaces and the distinctive Ida and Kakanui Mountain ranges, snow-capped in Winter and burnished velvet in Summer.
Kokonga Lodge specialises in interesting and innovative cuisine with a nutritious, full breakfast (inclusive in the tariff), and a delicious evening meal (pre-booking required). Wherever possible all meals use vegetables, fruit and berries from the lodge gardens.
Your hosts, Dorothy and Malcolm have developed Kokonga Lodge and gardens with a keen eye to environmental sustainability and this has shaped the way they operate their business. They look forward to extending their warm hospitality and sharing their story with all guests.
Stay at Kokonga Lodge:
- Learn the history of the area and its gold-mining past.
- Visit picturesque Oteake Conservation Park, an amazing back-country experience.
- Try Curling, available all year round in historic Naseby.
- Take a dip in the Taieri River on a hot Summer’s day or after a hard bike ride. The river is a 2-minute walk from the lodge
Kokonga Lodge is the ideal venue for:
- Individuals or groups biking or walking the cycle trail
- Free and independent travellers driving SH87 between Dunedin and Queenstown.
- Corporate groups requiring a quiet team building facility.
- Small, intimate wedding parties, in conjunction with the delightful Kokonga Church.
- Family or group functions.
- Sole use of the lodge as a holiday venue.
Relax, unwind and experience the magic.